Friday, October 8, 2010

See My Vest(ments) - Part I

Before we get to actual game coverage, I'm going to take a moment or two and introduce you to my collection of Bruins hockey sweaters.


Since my game reports will include a running bit featuring what I wore to the game, I might as well show you what I have to choose from.


Because of the sheer number of sweaters I own, I'm going to break this into multiple posts.


Without further ado, here's Part I:


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
1990 Ray Bourque Home Replica


Manufactured by: CCM
Size: Medium
Year Purchased: Mid-90s
Purchased At: Boston Bruins Proshop at the Boston Garden


The Deets:


This was my first ever Bruins sweater, purchased for me as a birthday gift from my Uncle.  These types of replicas were made by CCM and used a durene type of material instead of the air-knit fabric that is prevalent today.  The name and numbers were screened on and as you can see are showing some significant wear, certainly not helped by wearing it playing floor hockey in high school and college.

Worn for: Floor hockey (back in the day)
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
1996 Ray Bourque Home Replica


Manufactured by: CCM
Size: Medium
Year Purchased: 1996
Purchased At: Sports Collectibles, Peabody, MA


The Deets:


The second sweater I've owned, this was purchased when the Bruins changed their uniforms in the mid-90s when the moved into the FleetCenter.  I had a gift certificate to Sports Collectibles, the longstanding specialty store in Peabody Square where I spent nearly my entire allowance on baseball and Garbage Pail cards when I was growing up.  They also did a large customized sports apparel business, so what better way to get me a new jersey and support the local economy than to get my sweater there.


Worn for: Colorado Avalanche, Non-original 6 Eastern Conference opponents


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
1991-2 Cam Neely NHL 75th Anniversary Authentic


Manufactured by: CCM
Size: 44
Year Purchased: 2000
Purchased: via Ebay


The Deets:


Long before the throwback trend came into fashion, I had long desired one of these beauties.  In the 1991-92 season, the NHL celebrated its 75th anniversary and the Orginal Six NHL Franchises all wore commemorative sweaters for certain games.  This is what the Bruins wore and I fell in love with them.  They are, in my opinion, the best sweaters ever worn by the team.


I was only 16 years old when these came out.  Needless to say, I did not have the funds to purchase one at that time.  Eventually, I turned my hope to ebay.  Auctions came and went, but I could never find one in my size or in my price range.  Almost after 2 years of searching, I finally came across a brand-new authentic size 44 with factory tags.  A size 44 is a very, very rare find.


Being brand new, the sweater did not include the NHL 75th anniversary patch nor did it include player name and number.  I bought the patch off of Ebay and sent the sweater to a place in Ontario to have the name and mumber stitched on.


Worn for: Original 6 opponents only


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
1991-2 Cam Neely NHL 75th Anniversary Replica


Manufactured by: CCM
Size: Small
Year Purchased: 2001
Purchased: via Ebay


The Deets:


Autographed by Cam Neely.

Unlike some of the other CCM replicas with screened on logos, this one has a tackle twill one.

Worn for: Not worn, for display only

No comments:

Post a Comment