Friday, October 15, 2010

See My Vest(ments) - Part II

Continuing where I left off, here is part II of my primer to my hockey sweater collection.

(Part I can be found here)

Here goes:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1990 Cam Neely Away Replica

Manufactured by: CCM
Size: Medium
Year Purchased: 2004
Purchased At: Boston Bruins Proshop at the FleetCenter

The Deets:

Ever since I had Bruins season tickets, I'd alway pop into the proshop at the Garden and see what Bruins stuff they were selling.  I already had a current model Bruins sweater, but part of me longed for older versions the Bruins wore when I was younger .  The throwback craze would not come about for a few years, but I would always ask the manager of the store to see if he could get the old jerseys.

Finally, I showed up one day and there they were: racks of the 1977-95 sweaters, complete with players' names and numbers!  The names ran the gamut - all time greats like Bourque, O'Reilly and Neely; all-stars such as Oates and Moog; and even goons like Nilan, Miller and Byers.

I took one look at the Neely one and said "it will be mine".  Soon enough, it was.

Worn for: Non-original six games aginst pre-2000 expansion teams

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
1970 Bobby Orr Away Replica

Manufactured by: CCM
Size: Medium
Year Purchased: 2004
Purchased At: Boston Bruins Proshop at the FleetCenter
The Deets:

Continuing on my theme of reliving the past, the proshop carried these beauties.  CCM had introduced its 'Vintage' line of replica sweaters for a number of teams including Montreal, Quebec, LA and Minnesota as well as the Bruins. Even better was the selection of players available - a veritable who's who of the Big Bad Bruins era: Bucyk, Cheevers, Esposito, Orr. The icing on the cake was the fact that these did not have nameplates, as was the custom during the era in which these were originally worn.

A 1970 Bobby Orr sweater?  The greatest Bruin of them all? From when they won the Stanley Cup?

It was a no-brainer.

Worn for: Orignal Six matchups
 
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
2006 Patrice Bergeron Home Replica


Manufactured by: CCM
Size: Medium

Year Purchased: 2006
Purchased: FanZone, TD Banknorth Garden

The Deets:

The Bruins used to hold a barbecue for their season ticket holders before the season would start.  Typically, it was held outside in the parking lot in front of the arena.  However, for some odd reason, managment held it on level 4 inside the Garden in 2006.  This was held in conjuction with an open practice and fans got to meet a variety of players including new acquistions Zdeno Chara and Marc Savard.

For whatever reason, the FanZone stores on this level were open and having a blowout sale. At this point, my wife Jen would attend a few games with me.  Alas, she did not have a sweater to call her own yet.  Plus, she liked Patrice Bergeron.  Putting two and two together, I bought her this sweater for 50% off.  The cost was $75 total.  I know I charged it to my credit card, but for whatever reason, I cannot ever remember seeing the charge applied to my bill. Shhhhh.
Jen really doesn't go to games anymore, so I've sorta inherited this one.

Worn for: Non-original 6 opponents

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
1995-2007 Home/Away Replica

Manufactured by: CCM
Size: Medium

Year Purchased: 2004
Purchased: N/A

The Deets:

This is a blank sweater that I won as 'Season Ticket Holder of the Game" at a game back in 2004 (I think that was the year). I can't remember which game it was, either.  They all sort of blur together.

Worn for: Losing streaks or when I'm fustrated with the team

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
2007 Patrice Bergeron Home/Away Replica

Manufactured by: Koho
Size: Extra Larger

Year Purchased: 2007
Purchased: N/A

The Deets:

This was a gift to season ticket holders who renewed their tickets and paid in full prior to the 2007 season.  We were given a choice of players including Ray Bourque and Cam Neely, if I remember correctly.  Already in possesion of a Bourque autographed stick and a Neely autographed sweater, I went with Bergeron.


Unfortunately, this sweater is 2 sizes too big for me.  In addition, I don't like to wear autographed apparel as I have a tend to beat up the shirts. 

Of particular note, the lettering is not the usual three layer white/black/gold tackle twill, but rather a cheaper single layer twill with the black and gold printed on the white background.  2007 was the year that the Bruins switched from this style sweater to the new Reebok Edge ones, so my guess is that the front office had a glut of these sweaters lying around, so they decided to give them away as gifts.

Worn for: Not worn, for display purposes only

No comments:

Post a Comment